A Tale of Two Polities

As some of you may be aware, the somewhat insignificant matter of the US Presidential race is currently underway.  It has been interesting to observe proceedings without the filter of the British media.  The flipside, of course, is that we’ve had to look through the filter of the American media.

We first experienced American coverage of major political events when we were over here ten years ago while the country was in the grip of the Bill Clinton impeachment process.  Comparing Clinton with the current Bush Administration, I now have a much deeper understanding of how American politics works.  Apparently blow jobs warrant the possibility of removal from office but shafting your own country and much of the rest of the world doesn’t really matter so much.

The week following our arrival was the Democratic Convention at which Barack Obama officially accepted his party’s nomination for president.  His speech was given on the 45th anniversary of Martin Luther King Jr.’s “I Have a Dream” speech (at which time Obama was two years old).  From The Dreamer to The Dream in such a comparatively short space of time is truly amazing.

Although blacks have ostensibly been able to vote for quite some time, The Civil Rights Act outlawing racial segregation was only passed in 1964 and The National Voting Rights Act aimed at combating disenfranchisement in 1965.

One of Mrs G’s lecturers tells the story of how her Grandmother had to learn to read under a barrel.  To vote in South Carolina in those days you had to be able to read.  There were some whites who would disrupt black households if they saw lights on after a certain time because lights meant learnin’ and that just had to be stopped.  The only way blacks could learn to read without fear of interruption (or worse) was to hide under a barrel with a light.

So, as I say, From Martin Luther King Jr. to Barack Obama in such a comparatively short space of time is truly amazing

As I listened to Obama give his acceptance speech I had a feeling of pride well up within my chest.  I wanted to put on some Stars and Stripes underwear, sing The Star Spangled Banner and salute the American Flag while eating momma’s home-made pumpkin pie.  Gimme a Green Card!  I wanna be an American!!!!

Colin Powell, Republican and former Secretary of State in the Bush Administration, recently gave his endorsement to Barack Obama.  Among other things he said:

"I'm also troubled by, not what Senator McCain says, but what members of the [Republican] Party say... such things as 'Well, you know that Mr Obama is a Muslim'.

"Well the correct answer is, 'He's not a Muslim, he's a Christian, he's always been a Christian'.  But the really right answer is, "What if he is?'  Is there something wrong with being a Muslim in this country?  The answer is 'No', that's not America."

Quite.

Then, the next week, it was the Republican Convention at which John “Coffin Dodger” McCain accepted his party’s nomination and we were introduced to his Vice Presidential choice: Sarah “Moose Wrasslin” Palin.

Oh my.  What a contrast.  

As the week wore on the politics of fear loomed larger and larger.  This quote sums up the unease I felt while listening to the various speakers:

"Of course people don't want war.  But after all, it's the leaders of the country who determine the policy, and it's always a simple matter to drag the people along whether it's a democracy, fascist dictatorship, or a parliament, or a communist dictatorship.  Voice or no voice, the people can always be brought back to the bidding of the leaders.  That is easy.  All you have to do is tell them that they are being attacked, and denounce the pacifists for lack of patriotism and exposing the country to greater danger."  

No, that’s not a quote from the Republican Convention.  It’s from Hermann Goering at the Nuremberg Trials.

I shall say no more in this vein for fear of falling further foul of Godwin’s Law.

At this point it would be too easy to descend into mockery (like pointing out that Sarah Palin feels she is qualified to handle international diplomacy because she can see Russia from her house) so I shall instead try to end on a more positive note.

On November the 4th America will choose its next President (as long as there are no problems with the voting procedure that is.  Heh.  Like that could happen in The World’s Greatest Democracy)!

There is a quiet confidence in most of the Americans that I speak to.  The polls (which historically have been pretty accurate this close to Election Day) indicate that Barack Obama will be the 44th President of The United States of America.  I hope they’re right.

I’ll let Barack Hussein Obama have the last word with two of my favourite quotes of his:

“You know, my faith is one that admits some doubt.”

And

"Who is Barack Obama?  Contrary to the rumours you have heard, I was not born in a manger.  I was actually born on Krypton and sent here by my father Jor-El to save the Planet Earth.  Many of you know that I got my name, Barack, from my father.  What you may not know is Barack is actually Swahili for 'That One.'  And I got my middle name from somebody who obviously didn't think I'd ever run for president.  If I had to name my greatest strength, I guess it would be my humility.  Greatest weakness, it's possible that I'm a little too awesome."

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Excellent entry MrG, can't wait to see how many american reporters we get over here in Blighty when we have an election. How many americans actually know the names of our other party leaders, Cameron and........err the other one will soon be big news in the states

Anonymous said...

Hi Paulos,

I'm from NTSC-UK and I really enjoyed your blog. Nice to have a man across the pond and the subjective but factual, and slightly irreverent style was easy to read.

Nice work!