Season of Mists

For most of the time that we’ve been here the weather has been fabulous.  We’ve had a couple of days rain recently though and there’s occasionally a bit of a chill in the air.  However, it’s still warm enough that I usually wander around in a short-sleeved top, even during the evenings.  Some of the greens are starting to turn to yellow, pumpkins are sitting on steps and Mrs G is shopping for warm clothes.  Fall is here.

We’ve pretty much settled into a rhythm now.  Mrs G has her timetable for studies and has graciously given me a timetable of household duties although I somehow still seem to need reminding to do the vacuuming.

I’m sitting in on (or auditing as it’s referred to) one of Mrs G’s classes - Godly Scepticism: Ecclesiastes and Its Reception in Early Christian Tradition.  For those of you not familiar with Ecclesiastes (also known as Qoheleth) this Hebrew phrase will give you a feel for what it’s about:

הֲבֵל הֲבָלִים אָמַר קֹהֶלֶת, הֲבֵל הֲבָלִים הַכֹּל הָבֶל

I hope that’s clear.

It roughly translates as "Hebel, hebel says the teacher, all is hebel.”  Hebel (pronounce hevel) is variously translated as meaningless or vanity (in the old sense of the word).  A better translation (arguably) would be absurd (in the sense used by Camus).

I hope that’s clear.

The class meets twice a week (Mondays and Wednesdays) from 1:30 till 3:00 as in taken by (the rather excellent) Professor Carolyn Sharp who has a particular interest in the area of irony.

For someone who spends a lot of his thought time bimbling about (or perhaps bumbling as the spell-check has helpfully suggested) in the Holy Idea Trinity of Non-Theism, Agnosticism and Atheism it’s refreshing to engage with a biblical book that engages with injustice, meaninglessness and general existential angst.  That it advocates having and enjoying a drink is a bonus!

The other major bonus is that I don’t actually have to do any work.  I just do the reading, turn up and once in a while make a comment.  I do act as a sounding board for Mrs G though and I proof-read her assignments.  It’s a great chance to practice passive-aggression if she’s annoyed or upset me.  I take out my giant red marker pen and gleefully highlight any errors in her papers.

I leave you today with this thought taken out of context from Ecclesiastes Chapter 2, Verse 24:

a wild ass at home in the wilderness,
in her heat sniffing the wind!
Who can restrain her lust?

Oops.  Sorry.  That’s from Jeremiah, Chapter 2, Verse 24.

The Ecclesiastes quote is:

There is nothing better for mortals than to eat and drink, and find enjoyment in their toil.

No comments: