Wednesday 27th August 2008

I don’t really notice the crickets anymore, which is nice. Doesn’t stop me from waking early today though. As it’s not even six o’clock and I’m wide-awake I decide I’ll get up so as not to disturb Mrs G.

I enter stealth mode and enter the bathroom. Upon leaving the bathroom I am greeted by a ghostly apparition which glowers malevolently at me like something out of a horror film. Realising that I have failed miserably in my quest to not disturb Mrs G I quickly (and quietly) slink out of the room before any violence ensues.

I spend some time reading while lying as still as possible on the sofa until it gets to safe o’clock and I take Mrs G a cup of tea.

Today’s lunch has been provided by Nica’s Market. There is a phenomenal array of sandwiches and after much deliberation I go for one roast beef and one Italian. I can highly recommend Nica’s Market if you want fresh and tasty grub.

To avoid being hunted down by The Department of Homeland Security Mrs G has to register at the Office for International Students and Scholars. I tag along for the ride and then tootle off on my own into Downtown New Haven.

My first stop is at Richter’s Bar where I sample a Harpoon Summer Ale. I then browse in a few bookstores and somehow manage to refrain from buying a library’s worth of books. After a general bimble about I seek out the one and only video game shop which is located Downtown. Sadly, it has closed down.

To cheer myself up from this devastating event I walk back to our apartment (via Orange) and stop at Orange Street Liquor Shop. Before entering I take a picture of the storefront. Once inside the following conversation ensues:

Person In Store: Are you taking photos of historic New Haven Buildings?
Me: Is this an historic New Haven Building?
Person In Store: No.

I couldn’t help but laugh out loud and replied that I’d just have to make something up. I leave with a six pack of Amber Red Rock Ale and a bottle of Penfolds Koonunga Hill Shiraz Cabernet.

Back at the ranch Mrs G and I have Roast Vegetable Pizza (which was surprisingly delicious), drink beer and wine and watch a bit of the Democratic National Convention at which Barack Obama’s nomination for the US Presidency is made official.

Having only one viewable channel on the TV we stream a couple of programmes from the internet before retiring for the evening.

No comments: