Beer Good

So far we’ve really been enjoying our time in the States.    I could quite happily live here.  Well, if Mrs G was prepared to support me indefinitely that is.  Most working Americans only get two weeks’ holiday a year which clearly wouldn’t suit the lifestyle I’m accustomed to.

For most of the time we’ve had lovely weather (apart from catching the tail end of tropical storm Hannah).  It’s almost been too hot at times though and the humidity saps the energy out of you like having to go shoe shopping with your wife.  Fortunately, our apartment is air-conditioned and the bars also have cooling mechanisms.  And there are no shoe shops.

Speaking of bars, prior to coming here I was a little concerned about the real ale situation.  Turns out I was worrying in vain.  So far I’ve sampled quite a number of decent American beers (note: friends don’t let friends drink Budweiser). 

We popped out to The Playwright a couple of nights ago and had a 10 oz New York steak with whiskey and mushroom sauce.  Wonderful.  Mrs G washed hers down with a pint of Sam Adams. I started with a Beach Bum Blonde Ale.  Slid down very easily and though not unpleasant it was somewhat unmemorable.

I followed that with a Magic Hat # 9.  My palate was instantly struck by an unusual flavour. Raspberry?  Echinacea?  No.  Mrs G had a taste. We knew we knew what it was but neither of us could quite pinpoint it.  In the end we asked our waitress and she asked the bartender. Apricot!  Of course.  Easy once you know.  Smells just like Mrs G’s new shampoo.  Tastes much better though.  Very interesting flavour. Couldn’t drink it all night but would certainly have it again.

After dinner the waitress asked if I would like anything else so I asked for a Hooker. Unfortunately they were out so I had to settle for a Blue Moon instead.

It’s not all fun and games here though.  Oh no.  I’ve been apricots-deep in muck while cleaning the apartment.  Scouring pads, rubber gloves and bleach have done wonders.  It seems the previous occupant(s) were allergic to cleaning of any variety.  The amount of scrubbing I’ve done has had me sweating like a pig in a bucket.  Pretty much under control now thankfully.

We’ve also sorted out other essential day-to-day matters such as opening a US bank account, buying mobile phones, visiting IKEA (I sat and read while Mrs G shopped), advising Amazon US of our address, buying lots of stuff from Amazon US, doing laundry, planning a holiday to Florida and so on.

Anyway, that’ll have to do for now.  I’m expecting a delivery and need to go check the mail box.

2 comments:

prinnysquad said...

Nice to see you flying the Camra flag in the land of pissy lager! I always figured they'd have an proper beer industry beyond the mega brands, and you need to keep the reports coming!

ronfromkwon said...

How's it going over there?

Have you found a good source of bacon/waffle/maple syrup yet?